Thursday, April 24, 2008

Scrunchies

I don't think I ever posted any pictures of the scrunchie I made my dear sister. So instead of posting the photos I have on my home computer of the sunny weekend in Central Park hubby and I had or my new handmade skirt or shirt, I will show you this little ditty. This is some of my all time favorite fabric - it's Laura Ashley from a thrifted dress (it was a size 10 with a full skirt - plenty of perfect fabric!).


I think I did mention that dear aforementioned sister gave me her super sentimental April Cornell scrunchie. My favorite detail on that beauty is the little ridges sewn in every few inches.


Isn't that just so pretty? Here is my attempt to copy that detail in the new scrunchie:

This was such an easy project. Basically I just cut a 5 inch wide strip of fabric that was about, oh I don't know, 4 feet long? Something like that. Obviously the longer the fabric, the more ruffly the scrunchie. Then I put in 4 ridges every 5 or 6 inches, put right sides together and sewed it into a tube. After pulling it right side out, I used elastic I robbed from another less desirable scrunchie and inserted it, tied it together securely, then blind-stitched the fabric ends together (being sure I didn't twist the tube). And wahla! A luxuriously ruffly scrunchie with pretty little ridges. Hopefully soon I will get my butt in gear and post some of my new projects before the week is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment